CSS and HTML for Designers
Wednesday, 9:00 am – 12:00 pm
HTML and CSS: You’ve heard the terms, but how exactly do they work, and how can you start working with them? Understanding these core web design languages can help you collaborate more effectively with coding teams or even design directly in digital formats. Together we’ll walk through the basics of HTML and CSS, and how these two technologies go hand-in-hand to style and compose your content.
You probably already know the general concepts — think of HTML as “content and structure” (like pages, graphic/text boxes, text), and CSS as “style and layout” (such as paragraph, character, and object styles). At the end of this tutorial, you’ll walk away with a solid understanding of the fundamentals of these core web design technologies and the confidence to edit HTML and CSS documents or even to create them from scratch.
- The basics: opening and editing HTML and CSS files
- Anatomy of HTML tags and documents
- Including graphics and other media
- Exporting HTML from InDesign
- Anatomy of CSS rules
- How to apply CSS styles to different parts of an HTML document
- Understanding the cascade
- Working with fonts
- Next-level CSS: animations, transformations, and print media
- Out-of-the-box web design frameworks